[whatwg] Proposal: add attributes etags & last-modified to <link> element.

On 19.09.2010 20:47, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> 2010/9/19 Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de
> <mailto:julian.reschke at gmx.de>>
>
>     On 15.09.2010 19:45, Gavin Peters (?????) wrote:
>
>         Hi, I'm working on link tags inside of chrome.  We're now
>         experimenting
>         with an optimization that uses link tags and headers to avoid round
>         trips for cache validation in many cases.
>

>     Clarifying: essentially that's a workaround for resources for which
>     the actual cache information returned by HTTP GET isn't accurate,
>     right? Which of course leads to the question: if the maintainers of
>     a site can't get their cache information right, what makes you think
>     they can get their HTML right instead?
>
> No, it's a performance optimization. I presume that if the link
> attributes indicate that the browser's cached resource is valid, the
> browser does not issue a network request to validate the resource.

:-)

So it's a workaround that causes a performance optimization. It wouldn't
be necessary if the linked resource would have the right caching
information in the first place.

So again: what makes you think they can get their HTML right instead?

Best regards, Julian