[whatwg] Video with MIME type application/octet-stream

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> On 9/7/10 3:19 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
>> It sadden me when standards bodies ignore reality and leave
>> implementors to invent their own non-iteroperable algorithms for
>> security-critical behavior.
>
> Of course nothing prevents us from saying UAs MUST NOT sniff but if they do
> anyway they MUST use a given algorithm, right?

That's a contrary to duty imperative, which is something that's been
puzzling philosophers for centuries.  A more sensible requirement
would be that user agents SHOULD NOT sniff (for reasons XYZ), but, if
they do, they MUST use a the following algorithm.

Adam