[whatwg] iframe sandbox allow-bottom-navigation

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Nick Vidal <nick at iss.im> wrote:
> Instead of using the navigation bar from the browser, use one created
> by the Webtop. This would allow you to go back and forth or bookmark
> the current website displayed within the iframe.

You should already be able to navigate a sandboxed iframe.  The
easiest way is to set the "src" attribute of the iframe in the parent
page.

> By bookmark, I mean the Webtop being able to read the current location
> of the website and saving that to the server-side. By save a session,
> I mean the Webtop being able to read the location of all iframes it
> created and saving that to the server-side for later retrieval.

Reading the location of an iframe across origins is a security
vulnerability.  We're not going to allow that.  You're of course free
to remember where you directed the frame initially, but you won't be
able to figure out what URL the frame is currently displaying.

> This is comparable to the browser's own bookmark or session manager
> [note 1]. But the advantage of this approach is that it's not tied to
> a browser. Thus, one could retrieve a bookmark or a session simply by
> up possibilities to the development of new UIs.
>
> Notes:
> 1) One example: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324/

It seems like you're better off writing a browser extension.  With an
extension, you'll be able to get all the extra privileges you need to
re-implement browser features.

Adam

> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Adam Barth <w3c at adambarth.com> wrote:
>> What do you mean by access to the iframe's browsing context? ?Is that
>> access you would have if the iframe were not sandboxed?
>>
>> Adam
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Nick Vidal <nick at iss.im> wrote:
>>> In addition to allow-top-navigation for the iframe's sandbox
>>> attribute, I propose the opposite: allow-bottom-navigation. This would
>>> allow a parent document to have access to the iframe's
>>> browsing-context (even when the user has navigate to a different
>>> domain).
>>>
>>> I'm building a Webtop (a Desktop Environment on top of the Web) that
>>> allows users to navigate websites securely through iframes [note 1].
>>> An iframe is necessary to protect the Webtop from being compromised by
>>> an untrusted website. ?However, this also restricts the Webtop from
>>> accessing the browsing-context of the iframe.
>>>
>>> The allow-bottom-navigation would permit the Webtop:
>>>
>>> a) to provide independent navigation controls for each iframe [note 2];
>>> b) to bookmark a website;
>>> c) to save a session (i.e. to save all opened task windows, including
>>> those that have an iframe).
>>>
>>> I don't see any security risks, since the parent document would have
>>> access only to the browsing context of the iframe. No other access
>>> would be granted.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Nick
>>>
>>> Notes: