[whatwg] Timed tracks: feedback compendium

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:30:03 +0200, Simon Pieters <simonp at opera.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:11:16 +0200, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The point of a header is that browsers can identify WebSRT files and not
>>> keep parsing through a 100GB movie file,
>>
>> I don't think we should break SRT compat for this. I don't think this is a
>> problem at all. We already have this situation elsewhere, e.g. what if you
>> do <link rel=stylesheet href=movie.webm>?
>>
>> If it really turns out to be a problem you could just apply the hardware
>> limitations clause and abort parsing if you haven't found any cues after
>> parsing X bytes or whatever.
>>
>> In any case, the spec currently requires text/srt (or other supported
>> subtitle format MIME type) for <track>, so a movie file would be rejected
>> based on the MIME type per spec (see step 4 in
>> #sourcing-out-of-band-timed-tracks).
>>

> Well, I was hoping to sidestep the issue of MIME types and file extensions
> by always ignoring them. Last I checked Apache doesn't have a default
> mapping for .srt, so everyone using <track> would have to add it themselves.
>
> About metadata, I noticed that there's a voice called <credit>...

I think that's only for the credits at the start or end of a movie.

Anyway: I'm trying to summarize the changes that were discussed this
far to WebSRT. I think we have the following:

* add a header to identify the kind of websrt file & the language
* add a means to add metadata as name-value pairs

e.g.
WebSRT
language: en-US
author: Frank