[whatwg] Exposing spelling/grammar suggestions in contentEditable

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 11:27 +0200, timeless wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck at jumis.com> wrote:
> > Is there room for discussion of an API
>
> there's room to discuss such things.
>
> > to expose misspelled ranges of text in contentEditable?
>
> I'm worried about privacy risks.
>
> Some devices have a tendency to learn passwords as typed words, other
> private terms get added to known words. If a web page has the ability
> to talk to the spell checker, it could send it a stream of things
> which aren't in a standard dictionary to determine if they are in the
> user's custom dictionary.

But why would a password field ever be tied to a contentEditable
section? As far as I was aware, password fields are very special, and
don't do a lot of things that other fields do, so it wouldn't be
difficult for it to not do something else would it?!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk