[whatwg] Can we deprecate alert(), confirm(), prompt() ?

From: Benjamin Poulain <benjamin.poulain@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:26:36 +0100
On 11/25/2010 08:30 AM, ext Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:
> Biju<bijumaillist at gmail.com>  schrieb am Thu, 25 Nov 2010 02:29:31
>> 1. Can we deprecate alert(), confirm(), prompt() ?
>> At present many web2.0 js libs are providing alternate [and cool
>> looking] methods to achieve use cases where we need to use alert(),
>> confirm(), prompt(). So do we need those modal dialogs any longer?
>
> If sites rely on them, it is not possible to deprecate them.

The specification deprecates some elements that use to be widely used
(the elements font, big, center, etc).

Deprecating is only a recommendation for authors to not use the feature.

I would personally welcome a better alternative to alert(), confirm(),
prompt(). Something explicitly page modal and not pseudo-blocking
Javascript.

Although in my opinion, it would not make sense to deprecate without a
good alternative for modal dialogs.

cheers,
Benjamin