[whatwg] Processing the zoom level - MS extensions to window.screen

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck at jumis.com> wrote:

>   SVG is a document format. It is not reliably implemented. It's far more
> expensive to implement SVG on a new environment than Canvas.

So? You don't have to implement it.

I can't do much for you here other than explain to you what I'm hearing.
> a) Why are you using our Canvas implementation instead of our SVG
> implementation.
> b) Why are you using ctx.fillText('Test') instead of
> element.appendChild(document.createElement('text')).textContent = 'Test'.
>
> For answers
> a: I'm using it because I work across a variety of browser platforms.
> Canvas is far better supported.

It doesn't make sense to request entirely new features (that by definition
aren't currently supported) because existing features aren't widely
supported.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you think <canvas> is far better supported than
SVG. What browser supports <canvas> but not SVG?

>> Sure, but there are plenty of canvas uses that aren't animating all the
>> time (I've seen image editing apps, sites that use canvas as their
>> _input_, not their output, etc).
>>

> 1. Name one.

http://arewefastyet.com
http://www.simile-widgets.org/timeplot/
http://jwf.us/blog_apps/mandelbrot_canvas/

Robert's suggestion would radically alter the existing functionality of
> canvas

Only in a way that maintains compatibility with existing content. Otherwise
I wouldn't have suggested it.

> and require a whole lot of work from other vendors.

Not really.

Rob