[whatwg] Simple Links

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 23:44:41 +0200
If you think about various syntax variants of wiki systems they?ve got one thing in common that makes them preferable to direct HTML input: easy links! (Local ones at least, whatever that means.) The best known example is probably double square brackets as in Mediawiki, the engine that powers the Wikimediaverse. A link to another article on the same wiki is as simple as ?[[Foo]]?, where HTML would have needed ?<a href="Foo">Foo</a>?.

PS: Square brackets aren?t that simple actually, because on many keyboard layouts they?re not easy to input and might not be found on keytops at all.
PPS: The serialisation difference is not that important, because XML, unlike HTML, isn?t intended to be written by hand anyway.