[whatwg] Offscreen canvas (or canvas for web workers).

On Mar 13, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 13, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>> There is a use case, which I suspect is quite common, for using
>>> <canvas> to manipulate files on the users file system. For example
>>> when creating a photo uploader which does client side scaling before
>>> uploading the images, or for creating a web based GIMP like
>>> application.
>>>
>>> In this case we'll start out with a File object that needs to be
>>> read
>>> in to a <canvas>. One solution could be to read the File into memory
>>> in a ByteArray (or similar) and add a synchronous
>>> canvas2dcontext.fromByteArray function. This has the advantage of
>>> being more generic, but the downside of forcing both the encoded and
>>> decoded image to be read into memory.
>>
>> Honestly i think  nice and consistent way for this work work would
>> simply be to support
>> someImage.src = someFileObject
>>
>> Which would be asynchronous, and support all the image formats the
>> browser already supports.
>
> That is already possible:
>
> someImage.src = someFileObject.urn;
>
> However this brings us back to the very long list of steps I listed
> earlier in this thread.

I think it is cleaner to have an asynchronous image load operation (as
shown above) and then a synchronous image paint operation, rather than
to introduce a asynchronous paint operation directly on the 2D context.

I don't think there is any sane way to add an asynchronous draw
command to the 2D context, given that all the existing drawing
commands are synchronous. What happens if you do an async paint of a
File, followed by synchronous painting operations? It seems like the
only options are to force synchronous I/O, give unpredictable results,
or break the invariants on current drawing operations (i.e. the
guarantee that they are complete by the time you return to the event
loop and thus canvas updates are atomic)

Separating the async I/O from drawing allows the 2D context to remain
100% synchronous and thus to have sane semantics.

I think the number of steps is not the primary concern here. The issue
driving the proposal for offscreen canvas is responsiveness - i.e. not
blocking the main thread for a long time. It seems to me that number
of steps is not the main issue for responsiveness, but rather whether
there are operations that take a lot of CPU and are done
synchronously, and therefore, whether it is worthwhile to farm some of
that work out to a Worker. I/O is not really a major consideration
because we already have ways to do asynchronous I/O.

Regards,
Maciej