[whatwg] HTML 5 : The Youtube response

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM, schalk <schalk at ossreleasefeed.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Has anyone/everyone read the blog entry on Youtube?s blog
> (http://apiblog.youtube.com/2010/06/flash-and-html5-tag.html) regarding their
> feeling about HTML5 video and why they still feel that Flash for video is the
> preferred choice? I must say I do share some of their points. My question is,
> what work is being done to remedy these points at the moment?
>
> Looking forward to everyone?s response,
> Schalk Neethling
>

> --
> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)

Indeed, it is rather enlightening. It shows how much work we still
have! And it may not just be this group actually.

One of the key areas that I tried to push recently[1] is a spec for
adaptive HTTP streaming for any file format, which is one of the
points made in the YouTube blog post (Robust video streaming). I am
still unclear about the answer to the question which is the right
forum to standardise such a scheme in. Maybe the simple answer is:
here and just do it. Then I'd be happy to push things forward on this
technology here and make proposals, even though they are protocol
related and not markup related. I just didn't want to spam this list
with technology proposals for which this is not the right forum.

Regards,
Silvia.

[1]http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-May/026492.html