[whatwg] Allowing ">" in attribute values

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:50:30 -0400
On 6/25/10 9:52 AM, Skrol29 wrote:
> In another hand, in the industry the tolerance to the spec is often very low in order build simple, fast and robust processes. They are also many parsing purposes that care about some elements and don't care about others.

As I see it, there are two possibilities here:

1)  You have control over your input.  If so, you can impose whatever
     restrictions on it will make your parsing easier, above and beyond
     what the spec defines.

2)  You do not have control over your input.  If so, you need to be
     able to parse things "correctly" which for HTML in practice ends
     up meaning "like browsers do it".

Am I missing something?

It seems like what you want here is for browsers to parse as they do
now, but a particular subset of browser-accepted syntax to be enshrined
so that when defining your restrictions over content you control you can
just say "follow the spec" instead of "follow the spec and don't put '>'
in attribute values", right?

-Boris