[whatwg] Proposal: Undeletable elements within contentEditable

From: Nikita Vasilyev <me@elv1s.ru>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:08:50 +0400
The current version of spec http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/editing.html#contenteditable
does not define any way to make an element within contentEditable
undeletable. I propose "undeletable" attribute:

element.undeletable = "true" | "false"

How should it work:

When I focus on the div, select all the text, and delete it, the span
element MUST be empty, but MUST NOT be deleted.

This behavior would be very useful while building code editors. I'm
building CSS editor with syntax highlighting and auto-completion based
on contentEditable. "undeletable" attribute would help me a lot.