[whatwg] Serialization of boolean content attributes

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 23:13:16 -0700 (PDT)
"Darin Adler" <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> One of the things I like about the current serialization rules is that
> the engine can parse and then serialize something for an element that
> is not yet known to the engine and it behaves no differently than one
> that is know. Attributes are simply strings. Having a different rule
> for boolean attributes would change that. Not a major concern, but
> something that bothers me slightly. It?s one thing to be HTML-aware
> and another to be future-of-HTML-aware.

Having to have a list of boolean attributes bothers me, too, from a forward compat (and testing) point of view. It's bad enough that the serializer has to have a list of void elements. Since it's possible to make the serializer not require a list of boolean attributes, I think we should choose the path the doesn't require a list.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/