[whatwg] input type=upload (not just files) proposal

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 10:58 -0400, Mike Shaver wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
>

>         On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 10:37 -0400, Simpson, Grant Leyton
>         wrote:
>
>         > Are you wanting the user to manually enter the filename, including the file:// scheme? If not, are you envisioning the file dialog box to provide a choice between selecting local files and entering an http/ftp url?
>         >
>         > On Jun 8, 2010, at 10:32 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:
>         >
>         > > It would then be the server's job to fetch the file unless the user
>         > > passed it a file:// scheme it which case the file would be provided by
>         > > the UI.
>         >

>         I can see how this might work, but in theory it would be more
>         difficult than it sounds. For example, passing an FTP uri
>         would only work if that FTP server allowed anonymous access,
>         as you wouldn't want to pass your own FTP access credentials
>         to an unknown server.
>

> Or the UA could fetch the remote resource and then re-transfer it, as
> is sometimes an option on desktop mail clients when attaching a URL
> ("attach page" vs "attach link", or similar).  Then it's just a UA
> issue, since the client can do that for any file input, and could even
> permit creating one from the clipboard.
>

> Mike

Yes, and the rest of my email said that.

KIO slaves on KDE work just like that. It's not something that I think a
user agent can easily just add in, but something that needs to be
supported at the OS level.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk