[whatwg] Installable web apps

From: Antony Sargent <asargent@google.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:22:49 -0700
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> After googling around a bit, I was unable to find a signed .crx file for
> analysis. (I took apart 3 .crx files and gave up.) Is the signing mechanism
> documented somewhere? .wgt reinvents the .jar signing wheel by the basic
> idea of .jar signing with XML Signatures.

All .crx files are signed - they're just a zip with the public key and
signature appended on to them. The chrome extensions gallery has lots of
them:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions

For developers who choose to use it, the gallery takes care of
generating/storing the private key and signing new versions. They just
upload a plain zip file with their extension's resources. For those who want
to do this themselves, the developer tools on the chrome://extensions page
inside chrome itself lets you create a signed .crx file.

You can find some documentation here:
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/packaging.html

And here's the browser code to create .crx files:
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/chrome/browser/extensions/extension_creator.cc

<http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/chrome/browser/extensions/extension_creator.cc>