[whatwg] [hybi] WebSockets: UDP

From: Scott Hess <shess@google.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 16:34:05 -0700
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Mark Frohnmayer
<mark.frohnmayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Erik M?ller <emoller at opera.com> wrote:
>> So, what would the minimal set of limitations be to make a "UDP WebSocket"
>> browser-safe?
>>
>> -No listen sockets
>
> Only feedback here would be I think p2p should be looked at in this
> pass -- many client/server game instances are peers from the
> perspective of the hosting service (XBox Live, Quake, Half-Life,
> Battle.net) -- forcing all game traffic to pass through the hosting
> domain is a severe constraint. ?My question -- what does a "webby" p2p
> solution look like regarding Origin restrictions, etc?

Unix domain sockets allow you to pass file descriptors between
processes.  It might be interesting to pass a WebSocket endpoint
across a WebSocket.  If the clients can punch through NATs, it becomes
a direct peer-to-peer connection, otherwise it gets proxied through
the server.  Probably makes implementations excessively complicated,
though.  UDP-style would be easier (no need to worry about data
received by the server after it initiates pushing the endpoint to the
other client - just drop it on the floor).

-scott