[whatwg] [URL] Starting work on a URL spec

From: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 19:05:30 +0000
On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010, Adam Barth wrote:
>>
>> As far as I know, you can only see f(x) =
>> canonicalize(parse(resolve(x))) and also some breakdown components of
>> f(x) in HTMLAnchorElement and window.location.hash (and friends).
>
> Can you see the result of resolve(x) without seeing its result go through
> parse() and canonicalize()?

I don't know of any way to do that.  I can tell you that in WebKit,
the function that usually gets called to resolve URLs (called
completeURL if you want to look it up in the source) returns a
canonicalized URL.

> If not, then we should just define resolve()
> as doing the canonicalize() step.

Yeah, what might make the most sense is to use canonicalize to
post-process both resolving and parsing.  We can choose the names so
that calling the canonicalizing version is easy.

Adam