[whatwg] Timed tracks for <video>

From: Paul Ellis <paul@ellisfoundation.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:57:57 -0700
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2010, at 08:40, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > - Keep implementation costs for standalone players low.
>
> I think this should be a non-goal. It seems to me that trying to cater for
> non-browser user agents or non-Web uses in Web specs leads to bad Web specs.
> I think by optimizing for standalone players WebSRT falls into one of the
> common traps for Web specs. I think we should design for the Web (where the
> rendering is done by browser engines).

I disagree that this should be a non-goal. Making it harder for content to
be portable between the web and the non-web (standalone players, hardware
devices, etc) will definitely stifle the adopting of WebSRT. There is
already a significant ecosystem (players, creation tools, and content)
around SRT that could easily be leveraged to make WebSRT successful.

> Why karaoke and application-specific data? Those both seem like feature
> creep compared to the core cases of subtitles and captions.

Completely agree. Even though subtitles/captions and karaoke are both
essentially text synchronized to audio/video they are really completely
different use cases. And Karaoke is a much less prominent use case on the
web.

Paul Ellis