[whatwg] <video> application/octet-stream

From: Mike Shaver <mike.shaver@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:51:40 -0400
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz> wrote:
> How much data are you willing to sniff to find out if the Ogg file
> contains Theora and/or Vorbis? You have to read the header packets
> contained within the Ogg file to get this.

A few kilobytes certainly seems reasonable -- I don't think we can
actually do anything with the video until we've made that
determination, so I'm actually quite sure what's being asked.  Can you
describe a scenario where Firefox would have a reliable MIME type, but
isn't retrieving the first chunk of the video anyway?  Do browsers use
HEAD to check for video compatibility today?

Mike