[whatwg] The vision behind the <device> element and the ConnectionPeer interface

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 07:49 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > We need a specification that defines how the helper servers and
> > browsers are to interact, and how, once they have a control channel
> > set up, how they are to set up further channels such as a way to be
> > ready to receive UDP packets for a video stream, how to get ready to
> > receive a file, and so on.
>
> This sounds like a description of XMPP.  Have you considered XMPP?
>
> Why not use XMPP?

XMPP or another existing protocol is indeed an option for how the black
box I described would function. The point though is that the details would
be defined outside of this working group, and that the API would thus be
completely protocol agnostic.