[whatwg] HTML5 (including next generation additions still in development) - Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:43:03 -0700
On 7/7/10 5:43 PM, Aaron Boodman wrote:
> I hear this every so often. Do we really need the spec to double as a
> browser stress test? I mean, there are actual test suites nowadays. I
> just want to read the spec.

I'll just note that part of the reason it's a "stress test", apart from
the old Firefox issue, is that it tries to be clever and not hang the
browser.... which actually causes the browser to do a lot more work.  On
my machine here, if the spec's script were not trying for the clever
thing, it would take about 1-2 seconds (with a completely hung browser
during that time) to do what it currently takes anywhere from 8 to 25
seconds to do, during which time the browser is largely unresponsive anyway.

-Boris