[whatwg] More YouTube response

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Shane Fagan <shanepatrickfagan at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> > Internet Explorer 9 will not support VP8 unless the user manually
> > installs the codec.  This puts it at the same level of support as
> > Safari has for Theora, as far as I know.  So even if we assume every
> > user upgraded to the latest alphas of the browser they used, H.264 is
> > supported by about 65% of users' browsers, and VP8 by about 40%.  Of
> > course, in reality, less than half of users' browsers support <video>
> > at all right now, and given IE uptake rates, that's only going to
> > change slowly.
>
> For windows maybe there should be a .exe/.msi with the entire package of
> VP8+Theora+Vorbis or just VP8+Vorbis to make it easier to install but
> adoption isnt really our issue thats Microsoft's issue if WebM takes
> off. I dont foresee it being any harder than Adobe Flash to install for
> the regular user so websites could just direct users to the download if
> they dont have it already.
>
> Oh and IE is dropping in use according to the media over the past 3
> months ever since the browser selection screen came so its becoming less
> of an issue in time.
>
> --fagan

The marketshare drop has been very small, about a percentage point a month.
And Ian and other people in WHATWG made it our issue if Microsoft or Apple
doesn't fully adopt WebM. He made it clear that unless all the browser
vendors adopted a video format, it would never be specified in the spec as
the baseline format to support.

We do need a baseline format in the spec. Supporting video will be difficult
unless content providers can be certain that a single format will be
supported across the board....