[whatwg] sic element, was: Re: Exposing spelling/grammar suggestions in contentEditable

Am 30.12.2010 um 02:47 schrieb Ian Hickson:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Martin Janecke wrote:
>>
>> I support this idea and I'd certainly use it. For example, I'm currently
>> copying an old rhyme book to hypertext and would love to mark
>> historically correct (but now incorrect) spelling, spelling
>> intentionally done wrong for better rhyming (yes, people did this in the
>> past) and unintentional errors from the book semantically. I think it is
>> important to note where those errors are done intentional (by me, the
>> publisher of the web page) in contrast to errors accidentally added by
>> me that differ from the copied book.
>
> <mark> is the element for this purpose.

I don't think <mark> is appropriate for what I meant.

I as the publisher usually don't mean[1] to point a readers attention at spelling errors by someone I quote, I just want to be able to add semantic markup that identifies a part of text as deliberately published just the way it is published. Here's an example of a webpage quoting the US constitution http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_States_of_America#Section_2:

"The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers"

I'd like to be able to code this as

"The House of Representatives shall <sic>chuse</sic> their Speaker and other Officers"

to record that I intentionally wrote "chuse", not "choose", as "chuse" is exactly what the constitution says. But I wouldn't highlight "chuse" to the reader. The fact that there's archaic spelling in the constitution is not what the page is about and irrelevant[1] to the common reader e.g. in context of learning about the US legislative branch, and hence not worth being marked with <mark>.

Using <mark> on the original author's spelling errors, idiosyncrasies etc. would often even distract[1] readers from what is to be expressed with a quote. Consider a reader who searches for the term "speaker" at http://en.wikisource.org/ -- clearly the term "speaker" is of major importance to him, "chuse" is not. The returned search result should look like this:

Constitution of the United States of America:

Regards,
Martin

___

[1] compare with http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/text-level-semantics.html#the-mark-element: