[whatwg] Image Collision Detection in Canvas

Hi,

I acknowledge that generic image collision detection in Canvas does have the
following issues but please find my answers on them:

   - No such support in 3D

As of now 3D is not there in Canvas in official WHATWG specification. When
3D comes the 3D game developer can be told that 2D collisions and 3D
collisions are different. We can have ray tracking in 3D when it comes
similar to what 3D API is there in J2ME (JSR 184).

   - If the object moves to fast it may not collide as in the first frame it
   is not touching the image and in the other frame it has gone past the image.

This issue is there but obviously the game developer has to give the correct
speed in this case. He can experiment with say a speed of 1 pixels, 2 pixels
or 3pixels a frame etc. He can get to right speed in 15-20 minutes of
testing. So this would not be a big issue.

   - False alarms

As for the false alerts in the flame or smoke example you gave, the HTML 5
game developer will use this collision detection method only when required.
Also the method will contain 2 images as parameters between whom collision
will be detected. Therefore false alarms issue will not be there as if he
does not want to check collision between two images he will not check for
them.

The main reason for my recommending this was that many novice and
non-technical people will develop games in HTML 5. Many photoshop designers
have the knowledge of HTML , CSS, JavaScript and would like to develop games
using HTML 5. We should try to help them by giving features which help them
to produce casual games in a fast manner. From my experience with J2ME
generic pixel level collision detection is a must for making the lives of 2D
game developers easier in any platform. Also pixel level work in any
developer platform scares novice people since they find difficult to
control.

Saurabh Jain
Director
SKJ Technologies Private Limited