[whatwg] Proposal for secure key-value data stores

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:

>> > One thing that might be interesting is a way to cache large amounts of
>> > data
>> > that are deleted when the browser and/or tab closes. ?This might be
>> > something for the new file system API to consider (hence adding ericu to
>> > the
>> > thread). ?But time based controls aren't going to do anything more than
>> > give
>> > perceived security. ?(In your use case, expiration doesn't add much
>> > actual
>> > security for the reasons Dirk mentioned.)
>>
>> I disagree. Having data time out is a good "additional layer" of
>> security. For example if your laptop gets stolen, then it's much
>> better if the thief only gets access to the sites you've used the last
>> 24h, than any site you've ever used.
>>
>> This is why people do things like enforce password changes every X
>> weeks. Yes, password changing has social downsides, like people
>> writing down passwords on post-its etc. However those problems do not
>> seem to apply here.
>>
>> So I don't think anyone is arguing that expiration is good security in
>> and of itself. But it is a good (and low cost) way of getting
>> additional security.
>
> Sure, but it should not be thought of as anything more than a hint. ?If I go
> to a site that says expire the data in 24 hours and then I turn it off and
> don't use it for a year, that data is still there.

This is true, and important.

> Anything that has the outward appearance of adding more security than it
> actually does worries me. ?(I'm obviously worried a lot. :-)

I think it's pretty obvious though that expiring the data X seconds in
the future doesn't in and of itself give any protection what so ever
until the data has actually been expired.

I guess it could be argued that it isn't obvious that the data is only
expired if the browser is running. I don't think this is enough of a
problem to kill the feature though.

/ Jonas