[whatwg] Changing punctuation value of input element in telephone state

From: Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 01:13:49 +0200
On 04/07/2010 01:08 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
>>>
>>> Well the alternative is to not have the user agent change the value at
>>> all, in which case you still have to do server-side canonicalisation,
>>> so I don't think it really makes any difference.
>>
>> If the UA is not changing the value, we are sure at least webpage
>> authors can easily specify how they want the telephone number to be
>> formatted and check it with pattern attribute (or use
>> setCustomValidity()).
>
> If the author is doing the formatting, it's really not much better than a
> type=text field. The reason to have type=tel is to allow the UA to do that
> part of the work.

As Davis said, there are too many phone numbers format out there so we
can't let the UA do a formatting because it will be a bad one in most of
the cases. For example, in France, we use 2-digit blocks but in the US
people write 3-digit or 4-digit blocks.
Maybe the telephone type can be like the search one and be here only for
styling ?

--
Mounir