[whatwg] Font metrics

From: Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:59:09 -0400
Hi all,

In reviewing the current draft API for the <canvas> element (http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html), I noticed that there is no support for obtaining font metrics such as ascent, descent, leading, and bounding box. It seems like the most recent discussion regarding font metrics took place a couple of years ago:

http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-May/014706.html

But even that thread refers to discussions from 2006.

I would personally like to see support for these values added to the API. Is this something that could be considered for the final spec? What are the major obstacles to providing such support? I would think that this information could be easily obtained using the underlying graphics API, but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks,
Greg