[whatwg] progress/meter in spec

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/ uses status.js and
> status.css to create a popup showing status.
>
> It shows status of the section (such as "Awaiting implementation
> feedback" or "Controversial Working Draft"), the number of tests, the
> number of demos, implementation status for each of (in practice) 5
> implementations, and last-updated information.
>

> Am I correct in believing that the implementation statuses would
> ideally be a set of <progress> elements, even though the progress
> level won't be likely finish (or even change) during one reading?
> (And the same for overall section status?)

I believe so, yes.  <progress> doesn't have to be js-animated to be useful.

> If so, it looks like this is an example of wanting to style based on
> an arbitrary number of categories/thresholds (here done with classes),
> and also a fairly good example of the sort of styling that might be
> desired. ?(Currently done with dt/dd for the implementation status.)

Very good elucidation of this use-case.  Interesting.

Now, though, should such information be exposed directly through the
element, or would it be better to have a css pseudoclass that handles
it?  :progress(min, max) matching a <progress> who's value is between
the two arguments?

~TJ