[whatwg] article/section/details naming/definition problems

I'd sent this earlier, but it got caught in the message queue that
apparently nobody checks. Let's see if it works this time.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gordon P. Hemsley <gphemsley@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] article/section/details naming/definition problems
To: whatwg List <whatwg at whatwg.org>

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Jeremy Keith wrote:
> > In that blog post, I point out that <section> and <article> were once
> more
> > divergent but have converged over time (since the @cite and @pubdate
> > attributes were dropped from <article>).
> >
> > I've also seen a lot of confusion from authors wondering when to use
> <section>
> > and when to use <article>. Bruce wrote an article on HTML5 doctor
> recently to
> > address this:
> > http://html5doctor.com/the-section-element/
> >
> > Probably the best tutorial I've seen on this issue is from Ted:
> > http://edward.oconnor.cx/2009/09/using-the-html5-sectioning-elements
> >
> > ...but even so, the confusion remains. The very fact that tutorials are
> > required for what should be intuitive structural elements is worrying ? I
> the
> > content model has been changed) ...although there is continuing confusion
> > around <aside>.
>
> I'd like to rename <article>, if someone can come up with a better word
> that means "blog post, blog comment, forum post, or widget". I do think
> there is an important difference between a subpart of a page that is
> a potential candidate for syndication, and a subsection of a page that
> only makes sense with the rest of the page.

What about <item>? (Directly, it's a coincidence that RSS happens to have
the same-named element, as I just used a thesaurus. But perhaps [indirectly]
there's a reason RSS uses <item> to begin with. And, after all, it's
supposed to be used as a hint that it could be syndicated content, right?)

--
Gordon P. Hemsley
me at gphemsley.org
http://gphemsley.org/ ? http://gphemsley.org/blog/