[whatwg] RFC: Alternatives to storage mutex for cookies and localStorage

Great analysis.  I only have a few comments/questions:

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Chris Jones <cjones at mozilla.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Finally there's observable vs. unobservable "failures."  What "failure"
> means depends on the subset of ACID preserved, and at what granularity.
>  Some proposals do not allow scripts to observe failures.  For any proposal
> wishing to expand the unit of atomicity/consistency beyond single
> modifications (single set/remove/clear), I believe that the proposal must
> immediately terminate web apps if all changes between begin/end could not be
> applied.  Otherwise the UA has the non-option of either exposing non-atomic
> or inconsistent changes to localStorage, or allowing side-effecty script
> statements to complete in between attempted modifications to localStorage
> that fail.  Other proposals explicitly *allow* scripts to be notified of
> failures, with the intention that a script could retry failed modifications.
>  One use for such an API is a localStorage implementation with optimistic
> transactions, i.e. transactions implemented with STM-like techniques (which
> is what I had in mind with the OP).
>
> (For the latter, Rob O'Callahan proposed a very interesting "localStorage
> developer/debug mode" in which the UA would always fail a transaction at
> least once before succeeding.  This would allow authors to ensure that they
> uniformly handled failed transactions.  This could even be exposed as
> localStorage.__debug__ or somesuch rather than through UA-specific
> preferences.)
>

>> Those who want pessimistic transactions.  I.e. using locking so that you
>> never need to do a rollback (because it can never "fail").  This would be
>> compatible with either a sync or an async interface.
>>

> By the above characterization: { uniform granularity of ACID (traditional
> transactions), async/sync unspecified, unobservable transaction failures }.
>
>  Those who optimistic transactions.  I.e. rollback may happen.  Either we
>> need to restrict what can be done during a localStorage transaction or we
>> need to have an exception that tells the script to undo itself.  This was
>> the original proposal, AFAICT.  It would work with both a sync or an async
>> interface.
>>

> { Traditional transactions, sync/async unspecified, observable transaction
> failures }.
>
> I should note that I'm now of the opinion that { traditional transactions,
> async, observable transaction failures } is the way to go.
>
>  Those who want a queue.  I.e. those who want an asynchronous callback
>> based interface and the UA will only call one callback at a time.  Perhaps
>> on a per-origin basis.  Note that this can never "fail", need to be rolled
>> back, etc.
>>

> This sounds to me like { traditional transactions, async, unobservable
> transaction failures } which is the same as your first camp above except
> async only.  Or are you proposing that the unit of atomicity/consistency is
> not all operations performed in the callback; i.e., that modifications done
> in the callback can be partially applied?

It's just an implementational difference.  A queue means that the event loop
can continue processing stuff while waiting for the 'lock' (which maybe is
better described as an 'update token' or something).  If you implement it as
a lock (which you would for a synchronous interface) then the event loop is
blocked.

> I believe Aaron is in the queue camp with me.  I'm becoming more and more
>> convinced that Chromium should/will not implement the storage mutex at all
>> (even for LocalStorage) unless we can come up with a way for event loops to
>> not be blocked.  And, as far as I can tell, Async interfaces are the only
>> way to accomplish this.
>>

> In general, agreed.  I still believe that a sync API

The problem with a sync interface, especially if it's one that can be held
after the top level script context, is deadlock issues with WebDatabase (and
possibly others).  What's there now doesn't have this issue because you'd
never have the lock when calling the database transaction callback.

> with exposed transaction failures

You'll only have transaction failures in an optimistic transaction model,
right?  So is that what you're suggesting?

> (as I proposed in the OP) and the right implementation could do quite well.
>  But I now think that an async version of that same API could perform even
> better.  In addition, that API is most flexible in terms of possible UA
> implementations.

> IOW, I think that { traditional transactions, async, observable failures }
> subsumes both { traditional transactions, sync, observable failures } (OP's
> proposal) *and* { traditional transactions, async, unobservable failures }
> (your and Aaron's proposal).
>

> IMHO there are two remaining questions: first, whether the "ideal"
> localStorage transactional API should allow observable transaction failures.
>  I believe that it should, as this allows for the widest variety of
> efficient implementations without changing ACID (best effort) guarantees
> given to authors or significantly complicating the localStorage API.

What failures could there be in a pesimistic/queue model?

Second, what is the best way to go forward with transactional localStorage
> while remaining backwards-compatible with current implementations.  One
> option would be to deprecate localStorage in favor of a future,
> transactional window.domainStorage or somesuch.

If we do this, we might as well just adopt something like the
WebSimpleDatabase proposal (which I still haven't gotten around to reading
yet) which seems much more powerful in many other ways.

> Another, probably better, option is Maciej's proposal, a two-headed
> localStorage.  The non-transactional localStorage would be deprecated and
> remain spec'd as today { single-modification AC/storage-mutex I/undefined D,
> sync, some observable failures }.

This is how I'd lean.

> In addition, for cases like "clear private data", UAs would be allowed to
> silently break storage-mutex isolation for apps using the non-transactional
> API.

I think it'd be better if they waited for the lock to be freed.