[whatwg] localStorage feedback

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:

> I don't have a strong opinion either way on this one, but in general I'd
> say that making a race more subtle isn't usually much of a
> win.....especially when it comes to debugging it.

It's not just a matter of degree. If the UA follows the spec, authors can
(fairly easily) write code that's race free. Darin's proposing to make it so
they can't --- at least, not without external help like shared workers or
Web Storage, in which case I wonder why one would use LocalStorage at all.
(OK, I suppose one could rely on key/value atomicity and implement Lamport's
bakery algorithm on LocalStorage alone. I hope to never see that...)

>> Have you considered just not implementing LocalStorage? If it's so
>> difficult for authors to use correctly and to implement according to the
>> spec, this seems like the best path to me.
>>

> We'd love to, but it's difficult given that most of the other vendors have
> already implemented it.  I also believe that Microsoft's browser exhibits
> the same races that Darin's talking about.  So I'm not really sure how you
> could suggest that us not implementing it is better than implementing the
> status quo.

That is a good point. You do have the option of doing better than IE, though
:-).

Rob
53:5-6]