[whatwg] <hgroup> functionality absorbed into <header>?

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Kornel Lesi?~Dski wrote:
> On 9 Oct 2009, at 09:18, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > For example, the W3C copy of HTML5 says:
> >
> >   <h1>HTML5</h1>
> >   <h2>A vocabulary and associated APIs for HTML and XHTML</h2>
> >   <h2>Editor's Draft 9 October 2009</h2>
> >   <h2>Abstract</h2>
>
> > ...which is what it would be interpreted as. This is what is meant:
> >
> >   <section>
> >    <h1>HTML5;
> >        A vocabulary and associated APIs for HTML and XHTML;
> >        Editor's Draft 9 October 2009</h1>
>
> If that's what you mean, why not write it this way?
>
>    <h1>HTML5
>        A vocabulary and associated APIs for HTML and XHTML<br>
>        Editor's Draft 9 October 2009</span></h1>

Because "HTML5 A vocabulary and associated APIs for HTML and XHTML
Editor's Draft 9 October 2009" is not the title of the document. The title
is "HTML5", and the rest are distinct subtitles. People already use <h2>
in this manner, it's a well-established pattern.

> Your version with split <h2> seems to use it only for visual effect.

Not just visual, but presentational, yes, pretty much. It also makes it
clear how to generate the outline.

> I still think that <subtitle> (subheader, tagline) would be just as
> effective, less confusing and less likely to break outline when used
> improperly...

How is <h2> confusing? It's what people do already. I think something like
<subtitle> is just as likely to be misused as <hgroup>, to be honest.
Also, it has a much poorer legacy (backwards compatibility) story.