[whatwg] Is there any reason for the continued existence of enctype attribute at the form element

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 07:24:16 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Mark Kaplun wrote:

> > I've certainl written CGI scripts without libraries where the CGI
> > script only supports one enctype. I doubt I'm alone in this.
>
> Ian, if posting was implemented my way (browser selects best encoding as
> default) when you wrote the CGI, your work was harder, easier or no
> change at all?

Harder, at least in the scenario I described earlier -- I'd have written
the code assuming the multipart enctype, tested it, found it working fine,
and then if at the last minute I made the file upload control not be
always present, it would have broken in ways that I wouldn't immediately
have understood.