[whatwg] framesets

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:21:41 -0400
On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Peter Brawley <pb at artfulsoftware.com> wrote:
> I agree wholeheartedly, esp. when the topic list is long (thousands or
> millions of items) and itself editable, and the required interface is for
> flexible, independent scrolling of freely choosable bits of the topic tree
> in the left frame without affecting anything in the right detail frame. As
> Andrew said, frames are the only good way to do this.

How is this better for you than making the sidebar position: fixed
(and maybe even in an iframe if you specifically want that)?  I can
think of a few ways, e.g., if it's essential that the state of each
frame remain unchanged when you navigate the other frame.  What's a
concrete example where this is necessary, though?  Maybe there are
other ways to approach the problem that don't completely break
bookmarking/URL copying/the browser back button/etc.