[whatwg] status of html5 Custom scheme and content handlers?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:49:42 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, brg wrote:

> RE: 6.8.2
> status of html5 Custom scheme and content handlers?
>
> I ask because I am interesting in providing an implementation, and am
> wondering if it is stable enough to start.  It is currently marked as a
> Working Draft, although I can not find any discussion since late spring,
> 2009.

It's been implemented and shipped in Firefox for some time. I don't know
how stable it is, though. There have been some suggestions that we should
use a different design altogether, though nobody has really suggested
anything better yet.

Things get more stable the more implementations we have, though.

> It reads as if the spec is fairly complete to provide an experimental
> implementation, but perhaps could use a list of forbidden schemes
> (eg.http, https, file).

I didn't want to give an explicit list, because each browser might have a
different set of special schemes, and I didn't want to mislead
implementors into not thinking about this carefully.

HTH,