[whatwg] the cite element

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> Now, if we do in fact conclude that the use case for \cite{} is already
> handled by <a href="">, that leaves us with the choice of what to do for
> titles of works. We could make <cite> obsolete and introduce a new
> element, with the same default styles, and with a better name, like <work>
> or <wtitle> or <tow> or something. However, support for the element would
> take years to be deployed enough to be usable, and in the meantime
> browsers would still have the support of <cite>, so this would not be a
> cheap solution. On the other hand, if we just reuse <cite>, by slightly
> adjusting the definition in HTML4, we end up with a solution more or less
> for free.

I concede, given portions of your previous arguments, that <a href="">
is sufficient for citing bibliographic entries represented in HTML.
Redefining the <cite> element for the purpose of supporting
bibliographic citations (according to the scheme I previously
proposed) probably adds too much additional complexity that would
likely go underused by page authors. I am at least happy that the
current HTML5 definition of cite for marking up the "titles of works"
has been refined from the HTML4 version.

However, I do have a small proposal that I would be interested in
hearing feedback on.
What if a standard link type called "citation" was added to the HTML5
specification? For example,

After reviewing all the other link types and their corresponding
definitions in current draft specification this seems like a
consistent addition.
The value proposition here is that a standardized way to explicitly
indicate a "bibliographic citation" is available to authors that can
be exploited by search engines to improve the relevance of searches. I
acknowledge that I do not speak for the makers of major commercial
search engines but I do have some experience in the area of structured
search. I'd wager that providing this standardized semantic hook
(i.e., rel="citation") could only open up opportunities for new
functionality at little cost to the HTML5 specification.

>> By the way, what is the reasoning in the HTML5 spec for stating that
>> ship names should not be marked up with <cite> but should use <i>
>> instead?
>>
>> I guess I'm saying, why are ships not considered "works?"
>
> I suppose one could indeed make a somewhat convincing argument that a ship
> is a work. I'm not sure I'd want to try to sell that though. I've removed
> the sentence that says a ship isn't a work, but I haven't added ships to
> the list works.

Thanks. I believe not going out of your way to indicate that a ship
name is not the title of a work is a safe decision.

The definition I have in mind when I think of a "work" is along the
lines of "something produced or accomplished by effort, exertion, or
the exercise of skill <this book is the work of my hands>" - Merriam
Webster Dictionary
(http://www.aolsvc.merriam-webster.aol.com/dictionary/work). Which I
believe would include a ship as well as sculptures and books.
Although, I agree it is more common to reference works from literature
or art than engineering as their primary purpose is to convey
information through observation/analysis.

tjeddo