[whatwg] on bibtex-in-html5

From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 17:52:26 -0400
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> I agree that BibTeX is suboptimal. But what should we use instead?
>
> (The biblatex vocabulary seems unnecessarily incompatible with BibTeX's,
> and the latter appears to have more deployed support, which was one of the
> primary concerns that led to its vocabulary being picked.)

I think if you really insist on including a bibliographic vocabulary
in the HTML 5 spec (which as I've said, I don't really agree with,
precisely because this is hard stuff), then you need to
reassess/clarify the requirements a bit.

For example, what do you mean by "unnecessarily incompatible with
BibTeX"? If you simply mean it's a superset, and that therefore going
from biblatex to bibtex cannot be totally lossless, then that's
unavoidable, and I think a requirement that needs changing.

Or is there some other aspect of "incompatibility" you're seeing?

Bruce