[whatwg] <video>/<audio> feedback

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 6:56 PM, David Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:
> At 14:09 ?+1000 9/05/09, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> ?Of course none of the
>> discussion will inherently disallow seeking - scripts will always be
>> able to do the seeking. But the user may not find it easy to do
>> seeking to a section that is not accessible through the displayed
>> timeline, which can be both a good and a bad thing.
>
> How easy a particular user interface is to use for various tasks is (I hope)
> not our worry...

I'm not sure I agree. If the spec provides a feature set that no one
is able to create a useful UI for, then there definitely might be a
problem with the spec.

I still have not received any comments on my previous assertion that
there are essentially two separate use cases here. One for bringing
attention to a specific point in a larger context, one for showing
only a smaller range of a video.

I do think both of these can be addressed using fragment identifiers,
but I do think we should treat them separately.

The fact that one of the bigger video sites today, youtube, has
support for displaying a given point in a larger context leads at
least some credibility to that people actually want to do this.

/ Jonas