[whatwg] Input type for phone numbers

Antti Koivisto wrote:
> I'd like to propose a new <input> type attribute value for phone
> numbers  (<input type="phonenumber"> perhaps). The primary benefit would
> be to enable use of phone number specific input methods (for example a
> virtual keyboard) and pickers (for example a system address book). A
> useful minimal implementation could limit the allowed characters to
> those legal in phone numbers (+ * # and 0-9).

A brief look around shows the following characters also commonly used in
phone numbers as people actually type them in the US: ' ' (ascii space),
'.', '-', 'x' (this last in cases like "1-800-123-4567 x235").

This last case in particular is one I would suspect involves a good bit
of regional variability; I doubt the Latin lowercase 'x' is used
throughout the world to denote extensions.

-Boris