[whatwg] Worker feedback

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Drew Wilson <atwilson at google.com> wrote:

>> Re: cookies
>> I suppose that network activity should also wait for the lock. I've made
>> that happen.
>>

> Seems like that would restrict parallelism between network loads and
> executing javascript, which seems like the wrong direction to go.
>
> It feels like we are jumping through hoops to protect running script from
> having document.cookies modified out from underneath it, and now some of the
> ramifications may have real performance impacts. From a pragmatic point of
> view, I just want to remind people that many current browsers do not make
> these types of guarantees about document.cookies, and yet the tubes have not
> imploded.

We have no way of knowing how much trouble this has caused so far;
non-reproducibility means you probably won't get a good bug report for any
given incident.

It's even plausible that people are getting lucky with cookie races almost
all the time, or maybe cookies are usually used in a way that makes them a
non-issue. That doesn't mean designing cookie races in is a good idea.

>> > Cookies have a cross-domain aspect (multiple subdomains can share cookie
>> > state at the top domain) - does this impact the specification of the
>> > storage mutex since we need to lockout multiple domains?
>>
>> There's only one lock, so that should work fine.
>>

> OK, I was assuming a single per-domain lock (ala localStorage) but it
> sounds like there's a group lock, cross-domain. This makes it even more
> onerous if network activity across all related domains has to serialize on a
> single lock.

It doesn't have to. There are lots of ways to optimize here.

Rob
53:5-6]