[whatwg] One document or two?

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:49:14 -0400
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Ian Hickson<ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> I don't think alternative style sheets are evil; in fact, they seem to be
> quite within the architecture of the Web. Surely you don't think that,
> e.g., GMail is evil for having the same URL for whether your contact list
> is hidden or expanded.

I can't give other people links to my Gmail URLs anyway, since they
don't know my password (I hope).  On the other hand, if I'm reading
the author version of HTML 5 and want to quote a portion of it to
someone with a link, it would be rather confusing if they said "Hey,
that's not what it says!"  Publicly-viewable *documents* -- not
necessarily applications which may have no stable state anyway --
whose *contents* -- not UI -- differ as dramatically as this should
have different URLs.  That's how documents on the web have always
worked, and that's what people expect.