[whatwg] html5 state handling: overview and extensions

From: Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:18:02 -0700
This breakdown is a useful way to think about application state in the
browser. Another axis that could be incorporated into the model is lifetime.
There is some overlap between Server-Controlled and Script-Controlled realms
in cookies, applications definitely have a dependency on that overlap being
there. There are two constructs not represented in your writeup, Database
and ApplicationCache.
> Possible solutions would be to add a new "documentStorage" to
> WebStorage, or to offer a History.setDocumentState method.

I see other possibilities with WebStorage too.
  "documentStorage" has persistent lifetime + document scope
others...
  transient lifetime + document scope  (transient does not survive a browser
restart)
  transient lifetime + user agent scope    "temporaryStorage"
  transient lifetime + history entry scope   "privateStorage"