[whatwg] H.264-in-<video> vs plugin APIs

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Michael Dale <dale at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> I have requested that a few times as well...  Some went so far to even make
> a mock up page: http://people.xiph.org/~j/apple/preview/
>
> It would or course be much more ideal if we could get the component into
> quicktime codec lookup system. Is there any criteria or process that has
> been made publicly available? Are there any guidelines or special request
> mechanisms that we have missed? Eric or anyone at apple reading this list:
> if you have _any_ information as to how a codec component gets into the
> quicktime codec lookup system; it would be great if you could inform us.
>
> --Michael Dale
>

> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, but there is quite a bit of frustration from the past
>> hidden in my paragraph. For the last 4 years we have been trying to
>> get XiphQT added to the list of QuickTime components on Apple's
>> external components webpage at
>> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html . We have
>> seen proprietary codecs added one after the other but Xiph codecs
>> continuously being ignored even though we requested addition multiple
>> times and through different people. I'm sorry to say but that has
>> indeed caused a feeling of being rejected on purpose. We would love to
>> see this situation rectified.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Silvia.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Eric Carlson<eric.carlson at apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Silvia -

>>>  Speaking of misinformation and hyperbole, what makes you say "people
>>> from
>>> Apple" want to hide the fact that Safari supports third party QuickTime
>>> codecs? We *could* have limited WebKit to only support QuickTime's
>>> built-in
>>> formats, but did not specifically so customers can add other formats as
>>> they
>>> choose.
>>>
>>>  We have never tried to hide this, it is ridiculous to imply otherwise.
>>>
>>> eric

I don't even think QuickTime has a codec lookup system. For codecs that are
unavailable, it just points me to the page, even if the codec doesn't exist
on that page. I remember that either QuickTime 4 or 5 had a codec lookup and
download system... Not sure about QuickTime 6. Definitely not QuickTime 7.
Maybe QuickTime X will have one again?