[whatwg] on bibtex-in-html5

From: David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:02:50 +0100
2009/6/3 Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus at gmail.com>:

> Newspaper articles are cited a LOT; they're all over the place on
> wikipedia. And this doesn't even get into patents, or hearing
> transcripts, or legal opinions, or films. We need to be able to
> represent all of these, and bibtex is of little help here.

I was about to mention Wikipedia! The citation templates there would
be an excellent set of examples of what a citation format would need
to cover in practical use. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Citation_templates

There's a lot there, but many aren't that heavily used. You can see
how many uses there are of a template, or if there are any at all, by
going to the template page and clicking on "What links here" in the
sidebar. The ones whose name starts "Template:Cite ..." include the
biggies.

These constitute a bunch of special cases, but you'll be pleased to
know that similar templates tend to get combined with time. I
certainly wouldn't suggest a set of special cases in a spec for this.
But these will be useful for ideas and examples of what sort of
citations are in demand on the web.

- d.