[whatwg] Google's use of FFmpeg in Chromium and Chrome

From: Křištof Želechovski <giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 12:47:57 +0200
It is impractical to convert video that was already compressed.  My attempt
to convert QuickTime to Theora inflated the file from 10?MB to 50?MB; this
is unacceptable.  Moreover, unpleasant visual artifacts appeared.
I was told it must be like that; you can get satisfactory compression
results from raw video only.  I suspect Google cannot convert most of the
video it already serves even if they wanted to.
IMHO,
Chris