[whatwg] Google's use of FFmpeg in Chromium and Chrome

From: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils-dagsson-moskopp@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 02:56:43 +0200
Am Montag, den 08.06.2009, 09:42 +0900 schrieb Chris DiBona:
> I'm perfectly calm, what people need to realize is that this issue is
> actually not about submarined patents (more like aircraft carrier
> patents) or tricky corner cases for the lgpl.,

That sounds too qood to be true ? so can we throw that argument out then
and ask Nokia and Apple why they won't pull a Google and just implement
both h264 and Theora natively ?

> but that the internet
> users prefer more quality in their codecs/megabyte/second. So long as
> this is true this issue will not be resolvable cleanly and the kind of
> puritism that Robert mentioned is achievable only upon expiration of
> said patents or dramatic quality improvements of the free codecs.

Well, Vorbis seems to be performing better than MPEG Layer 3
bitrate-wise, but wasn't really a killer. So I don't really buy that
argument. Same about FLAC vs. WAV.

> You can claim Humians as much as you like, the rest of us are trying
> to ship software here.

I was just tryin' to keep the discussion fair. Rhetoric tricks are
something for politicians, not suitable for an engineering discussions I
believe we are having here.

Cheers,
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp