[whatwg] Dates BCE

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:29:23 -0700
At 18:19  -0400 30/07/09, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>David Singer wrote:
>>Against that, one has to realize that "the label of the day before
>>X" is well-defined for the day before the introduction of the
>>Gregorian calendar, and iteratively going back to year 1, year 0,
>>year -1, and so on.
>In neither the Gregorian nor the Julian calendars is there a year 0,
>as used in conventional speech (formats designed for machine
>computation treat the issue a little differently).

Right.  I was specifically referring to Proleptic Gregorian Calendar
in the specification ISO 8601, which does.  This makes arithmetic
('how many years') and leap calculations ('is X a leap year') simpler.

Wikipedia:

'Mathematically, it is more convenient to include a year zero and
represent earlier years as negative, for the specific purpose of
facilitating the calculation of the number of years between a
negative (BC) year and a positive (AD) year. This is the convention
used in astronomical year numbering and in the international standard
date system, ISO 8601. In these systems, the year 0 is a leap year.

ISO 8601:
NOTE In the proleptic Gregorian calendar, the calendar year [0000] is
a leap year.

--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.