[whatwg] Dates BCE

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:45:52 -0400
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Jim O'Donnell<jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk> wrote:
> I think Google News Timeline is worth?mentioning?here as an application
> which already does this
> http://newstimeline.googlelabs.com/
> It shows
> events?going?back?to?the?late?Middle?Ages.?I'm?not?sure?how?they've?harvested?the?dates?from?wikipedia.?Perhaps?by?using?microformatted?dates?

Probably by looking at the category markup Wikipedia uses, which is
specific not only to MediaWiki but the particular decisions of the
English Wikipedia editing community.  <time> certainly wouldn't help
here -- this application doesn't need a way to say "this text string
denotes a particular time", but rather "this event happened at this
particular time".  You need to use Microdata or RDF or such for that
kind of relationship semantics.