[whatwg] Dates BCE

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:10:21 +0100
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:05:10 +0100, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at uclmail.net>
wrote:

> I sure hope there are! Historians and classicists are increasingly
> publishing to the web, and being unable to mark up years BCE in HTML 5
> would
> hinder this. That said, marking up a year, say 1992 AD, (as opposed to a
> specific day within a specific month within a specific year, e.g. 3rd
> September 1992) also seems to be hard or impossible in HTML 5... unless
> I've
> misread the spec.

Orthodoxy has it that there is no use case for marking up an ancient date
or "fuzzy date" like "June 2009" using <time>. I disagree, and this has
been discussed many times before. Do you have any concrete use cases or
examples of how marking these up using <time> would be necessary?

--
Hang loose and stay groovy,

Bruce Lawson
Web Evangelist