[whatwg] Security risks of persistent background content (Re: Installed Apps)

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:59:31 -0400
On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Maciej Stachowiak<mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> Here's some security risks I've thought about, for persistent workers and
> persistent background pages:
>
> . . .

The problems you lay out seem basically insurmountable for anything
with a significantly less cumbersome and scary UI than extensions.
Would it be valuable to recast this discussion as "let's standardize
some type of browser extension"?  So that authors could write a
limited sort of cross-browser extension, basically?  I'm not
suggesting a change in the proposed feature set, just a different way
of looking at the issue in terms of UI.